2013 Meeting Themes

(subject to change w/ advanced notice)

January: Meeting being held @ Springfield Brew Co. Tour and educational portion being held by brewmaster, Ashton.

February: Smoked beers

March: Pale Ales, IPAs and EPAs

April: Being held @ Mother’s Brewing

May: All Grain demonstration

June: Fruit beers

July: Hybrids

August: Kegging demonstation

September: Pepper/chili beers

October: Marzen and Oktoberfest beers

November: Favorite Missouri beer

December: Barley wines and  Imperials

12/18/12 Meeting Minutes


Starting time: 7:45  (14 in attendance)

Went over November Meeting Minutes

Looking at around $45-$50 for banner and 1000 cards according to Greg.

Discussed Hoppy St. Patricks Day competition.

Educational themes for the year were made available by Michael.

Educational portion of the nights: Side by side of 2012 Mother’s Foggy Notion and a cellar aged 2011 Foggy Notion.

Social period and beer tasting: 8:15

12/16/12 Leadership Meeting Minutes


Meeting place: Ben’s house

In attendance: Ben, Todd, Keith, Michael and Kassidy

Educational portion for the next meeting: Foggy Notion side by side. Ben will be bringing the 2011 version and Michael will bring the new 2012 one.

Mention to the club about the tax forms and opening a group account.

Our March competition is now registered w/ the BJCP ($30 reg fee printout available to those who wish to view it.) That $30 then refunded to Keith B. by ZOO Treasurer, Todd F.

Wording changed on the competition description along with date/time.

Discussed how to locally promote Hoppy St. Patricks Day (suggestions thrown around were Mothers, Brew Co., etc…)

Need to look into opening a PayPal account for the competition.

Member discount of $5/entry @ the competition for members (instead of $7 first and $5 for each after.)

Keith sent an email to BJCP to clarify the qualifications for competition judging.

Michael talked to Mother’s about the April meeting at their facilty. Confirmed for April 16th.

Looking @ September for the next ZOO competition.

Kassidy suggested that we start taking attendance at the next meeting so that we can keep track of our growth.

End 9:46

11-20-12 Meeting Minutes


Start End Time Item Organizer
7:30 PM 7:45 PM 0:15 Grab a beer, grab a chair, brief social time Todd Frye
7:45 PM 7:50 PM 0:05 Call to order Ben Time

Called to order at 7:40

7:50 PM 7:55 PM 0:05 September Meeting Minutes Ed S.

October minutes were read

7:55 PM 8:05 PM 0:10 Old Business Ed S.

New membership cards were handed out to new members currently we have 8 founding members.

8:05 PM 8:15 PM 0:10 New Businesses – Membership Agreement Keith Bachman

Keith passed around a membership agreement; it was read and discussed by the members. A motion was made to accept it and it was passed.

8:15 PM 8:25 PM 0:10 New Businesses – Use of Funds Amendment Keith Bachman

Keith passed around an amendment to our bylaws to include the use of membership funds. A motion was made and passed. Keith will add the amendment to the bylaws on our web page.

8:25 PM 8:30 PM 0:05 New Business – Moving January meeting Ben

January’s membership meeting will be held at Springfield Brewing Company. Aston Lewis will be the guest speaker and this will include a tour of the brewery. Homebrews are encouraged but no commercial beers.

8:30 PM 8:40 PM 0:10 New Businesses – Discussion of Membership Benefits Ben

Ben covered our membership benefits:
-Voting rights = make the club what you want it to be, your voice counts.
-Ability to “check out” material from the club library= gives members a chance to increase their knowledge at a minimal cost.
-Ability to enter into running to represent ZOO at “club only” competition
-Membership card
-Member’s Only Events = events like the tour of Mother’s will require membership; these events will be determined by the board.

Motion was made and passed.

8:40 PM 8:50 PM 0:10 New Business – Club literature Ed S. or Michael

Ideas were talked about for new club literature. We need ideas and pricing for handouts and banners at events. Greg Knight will look into pricing for this.

Business cards were discussed for members to use as handouts for club information. Greg Knight will get pricing on this as well.

Both items are tabled until we redesign our logo.

8:50 PM 8:55 PM 0:05 New Business – Club Logo – Request for designs Michael/Kassidy

Currently several members are working on new logo ideas. This will be discussed again at our January meeting.

8:55 PM 9:05 PM 0:10 New Businesses – Discussion of T-shirts Michael

Michael covered the idea of having T-shirts printed. Members will be able to purchase these at cost. Currently Michael is looking into pricing.

9:05 PM 9:15 PM 0:10 Call for any new business by members All

No additional new business was brought up.

9:15 PM 9:35 PM 0:20 Education portion – Pumpkin/Spiced beer Todd Frye

9:35 PM 10:45 PM 1:10 Social Period of club – beer tasting, feedback, etc. All

11-18-12 Leadership Meeting Minutes


Title: Leadership Meeting
Location: Chicago Pizza
Date: 11/18/2012

In attendance: Ben, Todd, Michael, Kassidy, Ed

Membership Agreement: The idea of writing a membership agreement has been brought up. This will be your basic “how to act” when representing the club in and out of club activities. It has been decided to bring this to the membership to see if this is something we need to pursue.

Competition: The name of the competition has been decided by the competition committee. It will be Hoppy St Patrick’s day. Deadline for entries will be 3/8/2013 and the competition will be 3/15/2013 – 3/17/2013. This will be a Pale Ale competition in a free for all format. Anyone can submit an entry. Keith will pay the $30 registration fee and the club will reimburse him once the proper paperwork is submitted.

Ashton Lewis has invited us to Springfield Brew Co for our January Meeting. This will be an open to everyone event and will be at the regular club time (7:30). This invitation includes a tour of the brewery.

Club Literature for promotions and events: We will present this to the members for ideas; we will also talk with Greg Knight for cost. We would also like to design a wallet card for each member to carry to help promote the club when they are out and about. This will include our meeting location, meeting time and our web site. This will be a business card that can be handed out.

Membership Benefits: Need to get the following list approved by the membership.

-Voting rights = make the club what you want it to be, your voice counts.
-Ability to “check out” material from the club library= gives members a chance to increase their knowledge at a minimal cost.
-Ability to enter into running to represent ZOO at “club only” competition
-Membership card
-Member’s Only Events = events like the tour of Mother’s will require membership; these events will be determined by the board.

Money: All club expenses must be approved by the board by a vote of 100%. If the board cannot pass an approval by 100% then it will be brought to the membership for approval.

Checking account: Ben will look in to what it is going to take to open an account.

T-shirts: Michael is looking into cost and styles. Club material will be sold at cost to club members.

Club Logo: See if anyone in the clubs wants to redesign out logo.

Beer Pick of the Month: Joplin brew club has a deal with Macadoodles that allows them to pick a beer of the month. This is advertised at Macadoodles. Todd will contact Joplin brew club and look into this. We are interested in doing it with the local Macadoodles.

Future thought: Joplin Brew Club VS. the Zoo in a local competition for bragging rights and possibly a traveling trophy.

10-16-2012 Meeting Minutes


Zymurgists of the Ozarks            Meeting Minutes            10/16/2012

Location: The Home Brewery
Date:   10/16/2012
In attendance: 12

7:30 PM –  7:45 PM   0:15   Grab a beer, grab a chair, brief social time – Todd Frye

7:45 PM  –  7:50 PM   0:05   Call to order – Ben Called to order at 7:45pm

7:50 PM  – 7:55 PM   0:05   September Meeting Minutes – Ed

*There were no meeting minutes from September.  October will be the first meeting minutes.

7:55 PM  – 8:05 PM   0:10   New Business – Dues Amendments and dues this year – Ben and Keith

*Ben explained the new change to the bylaws to allow dues to be prorated and collected in January of each year.  Motion: Ed/2nd: Greg Vote: 100% pass

*Ben explained the dues of $10 for the rest of this year.  He explained that it allows a little seed money for the club to cover small cost.  He also allow the leadership committee to develop a plan for dues for next year and what they will be used for.  Motioned and 2nd:  Pass 100%.  Anyone who pays dues before Jan 1 2013 will be considered a Founding member; this will be displayed on their membership card. Dues collections started at this meeting.

8:05 PM  – 8:10 PM   0:05   New Business – Competition Committee – Keith

*Signup sheets were passed around for this committee

8:10 PM  – 8:15 PM   0:05   New Business – Requesting Volunteers – Teach a friend to Homebrew Day. Signup sheet – Michael

*Signup sheets were passed around for this event

8:15 PM  – 8:20 PM   0:05   New Business – Requesting Volunteers – Ozarks Beer Fest . Signup sheet – Todd Frye

*Signup sheets were passed around for this event; cost of the event is $25 in advance and $30 at the door

8:20 PM – 8:25 PM   0:05   New Business – Taking recommendations for education efforts/themes for 2012/2013 meetings.  Please submit your recommendations to Michael Pittman – Michael

*This was discussed; any ideas need to be submitted to Michael.  We also need volunteers to do the education portion of the meeting.  This will be held to 15-20 minutes each meeting.

Membership cards were shown to the members.  The design was passed with 100% of the votes.  Ed will start making membership cards for the people who paid at the October meeting.  These will be available at the next meeting.

The idea of having a separate table for people who want real feedback for their beer was discussed.  It was done this meeting as a trial and seemed to be well accepted.  In the future if you want to have real feedback for your beer there will be a table set aside with tasting cards.  Please feel free to leave your beer there and to also taste and judge the other beers on this table.

8:45 PM         Social Period of club – beer tasting, feedback, etc. – All


A message from the President…

As the year continues to cool down and we get near the frosty holidays, things are starting to warm up in the Society. In addition to a few boil kettles being fired up in the background, we also have some pretty cool developments coming around in the club. First off, our competition committee has begun work organizing and planning our Spring competition, which will be held in March or April of next year. We’re currently planning on having a Pale Ale competition, and look forward to seeing entries come in from all over the Ozarks and beyond. If you have any catchy name ideas for a Spring competition, please send them our way.

Next, the club is currently offering a limited number of Founding Memberships. During these last few months of 2012, we’re allowing membership registration for $10. These dues include a “Founding Member” card and that status will be retained for the duration of your membership with the club. In addition to this special perk, these dues are the official dues of the club prior to our regular registration which begins in January. In January, all members will renew at the new dues rates. To be clear, being a Founding Member will not ensure you do not pay 2013 dues, as the $10 is amount of dues for active members in 2012, when the club was founded.

The officers are also currently working on the annual dues, which should be presented for approval by active members at the December meeting. The dues will be charged annually in January, and will be due every year.

There are several benefits to being a member, so if you are not already a member of the club, I encourage you to come for a meeting and see if you enjoy it, and then seriously consider registering as a member and paying your dues. Benefits of being a paid member include:

• Voting rights – They may sound boring, but if you would like to have a say in the direction and future of this club, the only way to participate is by joining us officially.

• Ability to “check out” material from the club library – Members are currently donating brewing magazines and books to create a Zymurgists of the Ozarks Library. Any attendee of a meeting can peruse the library, but only members will be allowed to check items out to take home. This will give you a chance to increase your knowledge at a minimal cost.

• Ability to enter into running to represent ZOO at “club only” competitions – We regularly hold internal competitions to find club members who will represent us at AHA “Club Only” competitions. If you would like to be considered to represent the ZOO at one of these competitions, you’ll need to pay your dues.

• Membership card – Show others that you are a part of something great by flashing your… card.

• Member’s Only Events – We’ll be scheduling events with local breweries, businesses, and fellow beer-minded folks, and if you’re not a member, you won’t get the invite. Don’t miss any of the unique and fun things we’ll be scheduling in the next year.

I hope you’ll consider coming to meet us at Ozarks Beer Fest on November 17th. We’ll be there with The Homebrewery talking about beer and homebrew, and would love to see you. Stop by the booth and talk shop with us for a bit. Oh, and you can go ahead and get your tickets at The Homebrewery or online at http://bigbro.com. Don’t miss that party.

-Ben Stange, ZOO President

08-21-2012 Meeting Minutes


The meeting was a very productive one.  We were joined by a couple of gentlemen from the Beerknobbers homebrew club who sat in to see what our club was all about.  I believe they were impressed by our knowledge and dedication to our hobby, and, more importantly, I believe they had a good time hanging out with us.

The meeting began with the educational portion of the meeting being hosted by Nate, as he explained a very well-thought-out experiment measuring the benefits of decoction mashing versus the use of melanoidin malt in the mash.  The result was that melanoidin malt can make a reasonable facsimile if you’re not too picky, but there are aspects of decoction mashing which cannot be replicated by the alteration of the malt bill.

We then proceeded to discuss several different beers which were brought in while Todd Frye made a few copies of the Constitution and By-laws to be handed out for consideration.  We had a period of time to review the Constitution and By-laws, then a discussion period, and they were finally put to a vote.  Special thanks to Keith, Nate, and Ed for working on revising the original by-laws drafted by me in time for this meeting and for all of the work that group put into making sure we got them as right as possible on the first pass.

The members present unanimously passed the Constitution and By-laws, and nominations for Officer Positions were immediately begun.  If you wish to nominate an individual (including yourself) for office, please do so in the “News” forum under the 2012-2013 Nominations forum.

We finished out the meeting discussing the different offices, how to proceed with nominations, and how best to communicate with non-present members the good news and the news on how to nominate.

At the next meeting, we will have the elections including a period at the beginning to continue to nominate individuals.  We want to make sure that everyone who wishes to participate in this process has a chance to do so, so please feel free to nominate prior to the meeting in the appropriate forum or at the beginning of the next meeting.  Please attend the next meeting so that you can vote on the officers, as well.

Next meeting is also our Cereal Challenge meeting.  If you have a Cereal Challenge beer, please make sure and let everyone know when you arrive so we know how many of these beers will be tasted during that section of the meeting.

Please feel free to add other notes from the last meeting or reminders for the next meeting to the Minutes forum.

Ben Stange

Meeting Minutes 06/20/2012


So, it was a pretty eventful meeting. Interim leader Todd Frye introduced several important topics at the beginning of the meeting including the following:

  • A big hearty congratulations to Keith, who won our in-club competition last night and will be sending his Imperial Porter to represent the Zymurgists of the Ozarks at the AHA Club-Only competition in August. the recipe for his award-winning porter can be found here.
  • The new format of the meetings – We will have official business first followed by an educational portion, and social time at the end of meetings.
  • The by-laws of the Zymurgists of the Ozarks – I brought some hard copies last night, but a copy has also been posted in the forums here. Please review the Constitution and By-Laws and make any recommendations you feel are necessary.
  • It was proposed that at each meeting, we would attempt to have some organization to that Month’s themed tasting. If you have brought a home brew you would like feedback on or an example of style for that month’s educational portion, you will provide that to the person in charge of that week’s tasting at the beginning of the meeting. We will hold the tasting panel prior to the social period at the end of meetings to ensure the best possible feedback is received by homebrewers.
  • We are currently working on establishing a homebrewing competition for the fall. So far, the tentative date is September 2nd, and the proposed style limitations are German Styles only. This will be our Oktoberfest competition this year. We will keep you updated as this progresses.
  • Todd Frye has been speaking with the Beerknobbers (a homebrew club which meets on the same night as us) about possibly sending some delegates from one club to attend the other club’s meeting in July. He will keep us updated via the forums and/or email as to how that progresses.
  • Mother’s Brewing Company has graciously offered us a club-only tour led by brewmaster Brian Allen on July 28th at 1pm. If you would like to attend, please RSVP via these forums or let me know at the next meeting so I know how many we can expect.

I’m sure I missed something, so if there is any more important business you’d like to bring up in relation to last night’s meeting which I have forgotten to add, please reply to this post. Thanks for being a part of this with us.

September Cereal Killer Competition Reminder!!!


Just a reminder that we are currently planning a Cereal Competition (I might have added the “Killer” part in the title) for the September meeting!

The only rule or stipulation is that at least 10% of your grain bill must be breakfast cereal.

There’s still plenty of time to brew for it so please start on your winning recipe if you haven’t already done so!